2006-02-10

I Miss Fry's

Let me tell you something, I've been at this job for two months now and I really miss Fry's. Not because Fry's was an awesome electronics and computer shop, more because at least it was local.

Working in a hollowed out volcano for an evil genius has its benefits, don't get me wrong, but you are local to nothing. No going out for lunch, no stop by the Apple store to check out the latest iPod, no running to Fry's when you just need a switch.

Heck, I'm lucky I can even shop online. The problem with a secret base hidden away in an uncharted patch of ocean is that it's really difficult to get any of the big online stores to ship to an undisclosed location, and the evil powers that be only trust other evil powers that be.

I finally convinced my bosses to let me order from Amazon by pointing out their one-click patent, which they declared was evil enough to give Amazon a shot.

Prior to that I had to make requests for hardware and wait for some shock troops to get around to stealing it. While that seems like a fair solution, the typical grunt can't tell a managed gigabit switch from an unmanaged 10/100 switch and half the time the stuff came back with bullet holes and shrapnel in it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Starbuck´s, either, I´d imagine. Bummer. :(

5:13 PM, February 10, 2006  
Blogger The Evil System Administrator said...

Actually Starbucks was sufficiently evil. The real problem is that they steam everything naturally and it gives the drinks a real sulphur smell and taste.

5:13 PM, February 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home