2006-02-16

Linux: Not Evil Enough?

One of the challenges of working in an evil organization is that the moves you make are evaluated for their evilness more than any other criteria, be it efficiency, economy, or security.

This has made introducing Linux to our operation difficult. You see, with all the community good will and copyleft licensing involved, Linux just doesn't give off enough of an evil vibe to my bosses.

I've tried pointing out the large corporations that support Linux such as Oracle and IBM, but up until now my bosses just haven't been convinced of the evilness of Linux enough to let me move some of the systems away from Windows. Add in the fact that Linux is free and therefore cannot be stolen (which takes the fun out of the acquisitions process), and you can see why until now I have been unable to get it into our servers.

I say 'until now' because I recently found a glowing testimonial for switching to Linux from a supervillian:

http://www.ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54 (Requires Flash)

Nothing like a good peer endorsement to convince your bosses. Looks like I'll be getting Linux onto some of the servers over the next while.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, there´s Solaris on Intel, that´s pretty evil.

But it doesn´t come with any laser-equipped cybergoats that I´m aware of, either.

7:13 PM, February 16, 2006  
Blogger The Evil System Administrator said...

Aah, but isn't it more evil to leave the GNU/ off?

Muahahaha!

4:42 PM, February 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should point out to your bosses that SCO license linux - and if they're not satisfied with that, they'll never be satisfied.

P.S. Looking for a PFY?

3:49 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger Mandy said...

Cool blog, ESA. Good luck with your Linux quandary.
Zak has told me your seret identity, but I won't tell.

3:25 AM, February 19, 2006  
Blogger The Evil System Administrator said...

Aah the SCO issue! I totally forgot that angle. You're right, I think that will drive it home.

8:45 AM, February 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home